Key Questions for the A.B./M.A.

Learn About Eligibility, Requirements, and Procedures

Both 今日吃瓜 and Haverford undergraduates may participate in this program. Eligible students must present an overall grade point average of at least 3.40 and an undergraduate grade point average of at least 3.70 in the subject of the proposed master's degree. Each department has its own procedures for identifying prospective candidates. If you are interested, consult your major adviser or department chair.

Depending on a student's situation, a student might earn both the A.B. and M.A. degrees within four years or might spread the student's work over five years. Significant advanced planning is needed to complete the program in four years, because it normally requires that students amass four extra undergraduate units before the start of the junior year. There are also financial aid implications for students who take five years to complete the program. McBride Scholars and other special students whose curriculum does not conform to the normal four-year baccalaureate program may propose alternative time-lines.

You will complete your undergraduate degree requirements within the first four years and earn your A.B. at the end of the fourth year, then get your M.A. at the end of the fifth.

Each student needs six courses for a master's degree and 32 courses for a bachelor's. But since students can count as many as two courses towards both degrees, many complete the program with only 36 courses total. Students who want to complete both degrees within four years can accumulate these 36 units in any combination of the following ways:

  • Applying up to four units of undergraduate credit from work completed in high school earned via the AP, IB, or A-level exams or as transfer credit.
  • Enrolling in an overload of five undergraduate courses during any of the first four semesters at the College. Please note that students enrolled in even a single graduate course may not enroll in more than four courses total during that semester.
  • Earning up to four units of credit during summer school.

Yes! In general, students should not plan to take more than two units of graduate work during the junior year. Applicants who wish to take more that year must gain the explicit approval of their department, the Special Cases Committee, and the Graduate Dean. Because students enrolled in even a single graduate course may not enroll in more than four courses total during that semester, most successful applicants will have earned 20 undergraduate units before the start of the junior year.

Students may count two of six graduate courses toward the A.B. These two courses may be full graduate courses or advanced undergraduate courses (300-level or above) that have been modified to fit the requirements of a graduate course (see below). The faculty member will submit both a numerical "undergraduate" grade to the Registrar and an evaluation form to the Graduate School .

Any 300- or 400-level course, either required by the major or an elective, may be presented towards the master's degree, provided that the student completes graduate-level work for the course. Before beginning any such course, a student should always consult with the instructor and the graduate chair or adviser about any extra requirements for graduate credit. The Graduate School will grant credit for this work only when the instructor's report to the Graduate School certifies that it meets graduate-level expectations and has been approved by the department.

Students may enroll in graduate courses at the University of Pennsylvania via our reciprocal agreement and may also earn graduate credit on the 今日吃瓜 Summer Program in Avignon. For work done on any other campus, consult the graduate adviser before enrolling in any courses.

You will register for both undergraduate and graduate courses via Virtual 今日吃瓜. You should follow instructions from both the Undergraduate Dean's Office and the Office of the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences regarding issues advising and approval. Dual records will be maintained. The evaluation forms on all work completed for the higher degree will be kept in the Graduate Office. The Registrar's Office will notify the Graduate Office when the work towards the A.B. has been completed and, if the M.A. is not received simultaneously, the student will register with the Graduate Office for the remaining graduate work.

You would receive numerical grades for every course that you use towards your undergraduate degree, including those that also count towards the graduate degree. You will receive a grade of "S" for every other graduate course.

After students have been accepted into the program and throughout the first four years of study, they remain "undergraduates" with respect to tuition, financial aid, housing, organized student activities, honor code, and primary advising.

If you complete your baccalaureate degree after four years and continue to work on your master's for a fifth year, you must become a fully matriculated student in the Graduate School of Arts and Sciences subject to all its regulations for that year. This means in your fifth year you will need to pay graduate tuition and fees. Tuition rates can be found on the GSAS web site. Many students at this point will take out student loans to cover these expenses. Please contact the Office of Financial Aid to inquire about loan options for graduate students.